Today is Earth Day! 🌏 It’s a day to think about how we can take care of nature, just as nature takes care of us. That is why we are calling all Night Zookeepers to take to their keyboards and have a go at conjuring up some creative stories all about planet Earth with some Earth Day writing prompts. ✍️ Even though you might be stuck inside for the time being, there is still a lot you can appreciate about our planet from right outside your window!
The Night Zoo is a very magical world indeed, but we want children to recognise the magic of the world they already live in. These prompts were designed to try and do just that, by getting kids to engage with their imaginations and write creatively about nature, the Earth and the environment. Hopefully it will encourage them to think a little deeper about what the word “Earth” means to them, whilst developing the key skills they need to be a star writer.🌟
Prompts are in the form of short stories, comics, persuasive letters, poems and more. Your child may want to use these prompts as free-writes in the writing section of their Night Zookeeper account, or they can be written by hand as an off-screen activity. If your child doesn’t have an account yet, you can sign up here.
Whatever your child decides to write about, we hope they will keep their writing fun and a little bit magical! 🎉
Earth Day Writing Prompts:
- Eco-friendly means friendly or not harmful to the environment. People often describe being eco-friendly as being “green”. Why do you think they chose this color?
- Create your own comic strip story about a team of superheroes who are here to save planet Earth. What might their special powers be? Be sure to include drawings for your comics!
- Planting trees is a great way to help the environment. Imagine you planted a tree that didn’t grow to look how you expected… draw a picture of your tree and label some of its interesting features.
- Can you write an acrostic poem using the word Earth? Remember: the first letter of each line must spell EARTH.
- Walking or cycling is better for the environment than taking the car. Can you write a short story about an imaginary eco-friendly mode of transport called ‘The Greenmobile‘? What would it look like and how might it be powered?
- Can you describe what the word recycle means? Try and make a list of all the things in your home that can be recycled.
- Write a newspaper article with the headline “New Species Discovered on Planet Earth.”
- Can you write a persuasive letter to your local mayor asking them to make the community greener? What changes might you suggest they make?
- Write an adventure story in which you discover trees can talk. What do they say to you? What do different trees’ voices sound like?
- Imagine it is the year 2030. Write a letter to your 2021-self describing how the Earth looks now. What looks different and what looks the same?
We would love to read what your children come up with! Just tag us (@nightzookeeper) on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram or Pinterest.
If you have any questions about how the Night Zookeeper platform can help your child, please do reach out to our team at firstname.lastname@example.org. We’ll be happy to help answer any questions you might have.
If you’d like to try out the Night Zookeeper platform, you can claim a free week’s trial by going here.